WOMEN AND MATHEMATICS
A Program for Winning Women into Mathematics
Administered by the Mathematical Association
Studies show that girls with interest in mathematics often lose
confidence in their abilities and drop out of mathematics classes
even though there is no corresponding decline in their grades or
achievement level. This loss of confidence and interest may be
impacted by relationships with a mentor or role model.
Many of our WAM consultants are available to work as mentors,
either with an individual or with small groups of students. They
communicate the importance and power of facility in mathematics.
They provide a listening ear, encouragement and support for
Activities might include:
See current regional activities
- Visiting the mentor's workplace
- Participating in a career day or a mathematics day at a
local college or university
- Working on a project that involves mathematics or computing
- Attending appropriate meetings of professional societies
- Engaging in informal conversations and discussions
- Exchanging email.
[ WAM Home |
Comments are gladly accepted
01/03/99 by VGK